Tutorial How to Install Firmware via GadgetBridge

Shreyan

Tutorial on How to Install Firmware via GadgetBridge
for Mi Band 3

View attachment 37
For this guide, you will need:
First of all, original Mi Fit application should be installed on your phone and paired with Mi Band 3. Once your fitness tracker is connected and works properly with original chinese software you can follow subsequent steps. At this stage, one more important step is to turn on “Discoverable mode” in Mi Fit so other applications could discover your band:
When all previously mentioned requirements are met, you need to install modified (that supports MB3) GadgetBridge app on your Android device:

Get the newest GadgetBridge version on our forum!

As installation process is finished, open GadgetBridge and grant the permissions it asks you for.
After that press the round blue button (with plus sign “+” inside) to add new device:

Scanning progress may take a few minutes and may even fail, then force stop GadgetBridge and try again (On Android > 6.0 “Location Services” should be enabled to discover new Bluetooth devices). If it still can’t find your band, disable Bluetooth, open GadgetBridge and allow it to enable Bluetooth itself.

As your Mi Band 3 is displayed in the list, click on it, then click back button:

After you returned back, pairing progess starts and it it will ask you to tap the button on your Band to finish setup:

If everything was done correctly, you may see paired device right in the GadgetBridge main menu with blue icon and “Connected” state:

Having paired your smart band in the GadgetBridge, you are ready to install firmware (custom one or return to the original).

In order to flash the firmware, open your file manager, find the firmware file (*.fw), click on it and select GadgetBridge (if something goes wrong, try aтother file manager):
Now it will ask you whether you really want to install it. Click install, wait until everything will be finished and enjoy your brand new firmware!

I once tried flashing resources to the mb3 with gadget bridge , it worked but now I can't connect to gadget bridge anymore. It shows the grey connecting icon forever. I can use the debug tools in the app but it still stays at connecting and I can't flash anything.

matoulek

When I update to czech, it works but, when I connect to modified Mifit 3.5.4. it instal uprade and chinese version is back. What should I do?

Well... i bought Tools Mi Band and now i have Mi Band in English and I dont know how :D but I am happy.

Last edited:
After install czech firmware, my Band 3 can't connect with aplication Mi fit even Gadgebridge. When I cancel pairing with phone ---> pair Band 3 again, bracelet install back Chinese firmware. :( Can anybody help me please?

gast123

Thanks for this great forum and support.
I could not upgrade mit Mi Band NFC with the official Mi fit app, with Notify &... app nor with Gadgetbridge.
FW =1.2.0.2

Got a strange error from Gadgetbridge.
Solution: Use another smartphone!
I was using a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with CarbonRom (Android 8.1) - not working.
Samsung Galaxy Tab with LineageOS worked.

Log from Gadgetbridge:
Code:
17:45:30.184 [Binder:3243_2] DEBUG n.f.g.s.b.BtLEQueue - characteristic write: 00001531-0000-3512-2118-0009af100700 (success)
17:45:30.186 [Binder:3243_2] DEBUG n.f.g.s.b.BtLEQueue - characteristic changed: 00001531-0000-3512-2118-0009af100700 value: 0x10 0x04 0x05
17:45:30.186 [Binder:3243_2] ERROR n.f.g.s.d.h.o.UpdateFirmwareOperation - Unexpected notification during firmware update:
17:45:30.194 [Binder:3243_2] INFO  n.f.g.s.d.h.a.AmazfitBipSupport - RECEIVED DATA WITH LENGTH: 3
17:45:30.196 [Binder:3243_2] WARN  n.f.g.s.d.h.a.AmazfitBipSupport - DATA: 100405
17:45:30.197 [Binder:3243_2] ERROR n.f.g.u.GB - Problem bei der Firmware Metadatenübertragung (this means. Problem with Firmware Meta Data Transmission)
17:45:30.206 [Binder:3243_2] INFO  n.f.g.s.d.h.o.UpdateFirmwareOperation - Operation done.
17:45:30.207 [Binder:3243_2] INFO  n.f.g.i.GBDevice - Mark device as NOT busy anymore: Firmware wird aktualisiert…
17:45:30.207 [Binder:3243_2] DEBUG n.f.g.s.b.BtLEQueue - about to add: 17:45:30: Transaction task: reenabling disabled notifications with 1 actions

Hallo, i have download czech firmware, but weather is in Polish and calendary is not function. Can you help me???Thank you very much.

I tried different Android devices w/ Gadgetbridge but I also always get the "Connect to app" bug after the F/W flash process went through...is there another work around to get custom F/W flashed?

Hi guys - I am a bit lost here. I have just received my Mi Fit 3 NFC (Chinese firmware) and installed the 3.5.5 modified app on my android device. All connectivity is fine. Both the modified Mi Fit app and the GadgetBridge app are seeing and connecting to the Mi Fit band.
But when I try to upload an English firmware file - the only response I am getting from GadgetBridge is "Element can not be installed"

Any idea what am I doing wrong ?

Currently my Mi Fit is with Chinese Firmware v1.6.0.10.

Thank you in advance for any help and tips.

Purco14

Hi guys - I am a bit lost here. I have just received my Mi Fit 3 NFC (Chinese firmware) and installed the 3.5.5 modified app on my android device. All connectivity is fine. Both the modified Mi Fit app and the GadgetBridge app are seeing and connecting to the Mi Fit band.
But when I try to upload an English firmware file - the only response I am getting from GadgetBridge is "Element can not be installed"

Any idea what am I doing wrong ?

Currently my Mi Fit is with Chinese Firmware v1.6.0.10.

Thank you in advance for any help and tips.
Hi, did you solve it ? I have the same problem. I think that we have to wait for fw english nfc V1. 6.0.10. Now is still older version fw like we have and version withou nfc, isn't it?

rdorsch

Many thanks for the excellent descriptions.

I updated here a Mi Band 3 NFC first using the official MiFit app to the official firmware 1.6.10. This brought me the Chinese version even though I had a German (Android) localization. Then I used gadgetbridge to flash the German localized version Mili_chongqing_DE_D.fw as described above (using an Android Nexus 5x phone, running Android 8). Everything worked well as described above. Many thanks again!

Last edited:

jeroism

Always "Problem with firmware metadata transfer" and it sucks. I want english firmware. I did all the instruction carefully, but still no luck. My phone is Oppo Find X bought from China.

Vadimux

Hi guys, i upgraded the firmware for my mi band 3, everything is fine. Done that all in English language, when asked to connect to phone to update it updated but after that not connected. tried unpair and pair again it paired, but language is still egnlish. Then changed phone language to lithuanian and its still english in band.

Any suggestions?

MagicalUnicorn

Staff member
Developer
Hi guys, i upgraded the firmware for my mi band 3, everything is fine. Done that all in English language, when asked to connect to phone to update it updated but after that not connected. tried unpair and pair again it paired, but language is still egnlish. Then changed phone language to lithuanian and its still english in band.
What firmware you have flash ?

Trusted Store

Members online

Our Telegram Channel

Which color of official strap would you like to buy for your Mi Band 3?

• Black

Votes: 2,154 52.8%
  • Deep Blue

Votes: 1,197 29.4%
  • Redish Orange

Votes: 726 17.8%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
careylui