Tutorial Mi Band 3, How to extend functionality of device (list of apps, MacroDroid explain).

CEZARXV

Contributor
At the beggining, my language is not perfect, I`m sorry, but i think, you will understand theese methods :D
Next thing, this post will be... extensive, before reading please make tea or coffee :)

So let`s get started!

Mi Band 3 is cheap device, at the same time this smartband is powerful and probably you have no idea, how powerful this device is.
Why?
Because you can extend functionality of this smartband.

When you browse this forum, you can go to Custom Firmware section and read about features like changing number of notifications from 5 to 16 (Firmware 2.3.0.6 | Bold Font (EN, CZ, SK, PL, HU, TR) | Xiaomi Mi Band 3 | GeekDoing) or adding new features like Calendar (Slovak Firmware 2.3.0.6 | 1.7.0.4 | Xiaomi Mi Band 3 | GeekDoing), this projects are awesome, but there is small problem.
If your language is not supported, it`s really hard to use, even worse if feature is only for one language, foreign language.
Next problem is with custom firmware makers, they have own life and they can`t add every single feature, every single language, every single desire, on the other hand, modifying firmware is hard for normal user, this operations is risky, you can brick the device.
Maybe there is any easier option for everyone?

First stage, what about Mi Fit alternatives?

Smartband has stopwatch, you can mute phone, you can read notifications, but there is problem with music control, Mi Fit doesn`t support this feature.
Another problem is the fact that Google Play is full of apps, typing phrase "Mi Band 3" will punch you with a huge number of results, apps, what`s confusing, you don`t know which app is good and which app is scam or bloatware.

So let`s begin with Mi Bandage and Tools & Mi Band. Theese apps would be good, but free versions are incomplete, on the other hand, paid versions are too expensive in comparasion with their price.
Music Control? It is not enough to buy paid version.

Second stage, what i should download?

Previous research didn`t give an answer, still we have many apps to try.
For the moment we know, that paid Mi Fit alternatives are not satisfying.

We need to think about hardware of Mi Band 3.
This device has screen, in one notification you can carry 128 letters message, Mi Band 3 officialy store 5 notifications (but there are firmwares with 16 notifications).
This information is enough to use this smartband as a didactic help (cheat sheet :D ), you can store shoplist, we have officialy 640 letters (or 2048 with custom firmware).
How to use that?
Mi Band 3 store notifications, so the best option is to make own notifications, you can use SMS, Facebook Messenger, you can also use Fake Notificatons app (only with custom notifications you can make content with 128 letters, without any headline).

But still we can`t control music.
Theoritically Mi Band 2 Func Button can pause or resume music, but free version has limitations, when you`ve reach the limit, you will see a message "buy pro version".

We can use Mi Band as a navigation, Mi Band Maps let you receive Google Maps directions directly to the device, but this app is not free.

Vibro Metronome will change smartband, into a metronome (yes, Mi Band 3 is good gadget for musicians!), but free version show ads, which is small disadvantage.

Of course, making theese apps are job for programmers and i understand programmers, they can expect salary for their job.
But for adding every single feature, you must pay, this is funny, because cost of all of theese apps is higher than cost of Mi Band 3.

Third stage, let`s change our strategy!

Dedicated apps for Mi Band 3 have many limitations and using all of them require money and memory, because there are many apps.

So let`s think again about hardware and stock functionality of smartband.
We have a screen and two interactions with smartphone, from Mi Band 3, mute and find device.
Maybe with this we can make simple "menu"?

There are apps like Tasker or Automate, but for normal user it is too demanding, it require knowledge, time and theese apps are not free.

Maybe there is easier option?

Fourth stage, we got it!

We need one, simple to use, cheap or free app.
And there is, MacroDroid.
Free version allows you to make 5 macros (actions), unlimited version is cheap (cheaper than Tasker).
So what it can do?
Simple answer, everything!
You can manage Wifi, Bluetooth, and other connectivity phone modules.
You can control music.
You can use it as a camera pilot.
You can start recording.
You can make simple games!

As you can see, there are many options, but... but how to use that?

Startscreen shows a few tabs, but on the top we have macro list and adding new macro.

So let`s explain how to use creator for new macro.

We have 3 sections,
-triggers, here you set a trigger, input action, which start a macro
-actions, here you set, what will be happen, after activation of trigger
-constraints, we must add some limitations, for example, without headphones trigger must be deactivated, but with headphones, our macro should work.

So, how to use that?
We know, that Mi Fit has 2 interactions, Mute and Find Device (but i prefer to use Mute button with timer, without Find Device button), we have 2 buttons to use.
Still don`t know how to use that?
See example.

When on Mi Band a will tap Mute option, my phone goes into a Do Not Disturb Mode (DND), with filters everything except alarms.
This is my trigger.
What actions i set?
We have phone in DND Mode, but i don`t need that, so i set DND Mode to previous state.
Next actions is taking a photo.

This macro add camera pilot feature to Mi Band!

But let`s add some constraints, maybe this macro whould work only between 8 AM and 2 PM (for example schooltime and i need take photo at school).

Now we have configured "Mute" button, what about "Find Device"?
It is more complicated, because this option is loud, phone is start ringing.
But there is a solution!
In Mi Fit set default ringtone to own ringtone.

Now make some magic!
We must mute this ringtone, how to do this?
Make a macro (don`t forget to make reverse macro to change phone ringtone to default)!

Don`t look for other actions, important is only action "set ringtone-none".
If it doesn`t work, please change ringtone to other recording, maybe something quiet like rustle.

Now we can use this button (Find Device) to make macro (and after all, make a reverse macro to change ringtone to default)!

How to use that?

When phone wil start ringing (of course without sound), our action will start.

It`s easy, but what about making "menu" and adding more features?

See this!

See my macrolist (with "Find Device" button")

And without "Find Device" button, only "Mute" and simple timer, which i prefer, it is easier to configure and use.

And some explenation, 0 Reset clear all notificatons, reset stopwatch and set variable to false (it works only when stopwatch has more than 15 seconds and variable is set to true and previous notification was Recorder).
Next is 1 Camera, it clear all notifications (from MacroDroid), set variable to true, display notification "Camera" and start stopwatch.
If i will tap "Mute" on Mi Band again in 15 second, i will take a photo (2 Camera) if this time will be longer, MacroDroid will display notification about hours of lessons.
When i tap in less than 15 second i will see what lessons i have.
After that when I tap Mute, i will see a Notification "Recorder", if i will tap again in less than 15 second, i will record sound (30 seconds), if more, i will reset menu and i will go to the beggining (0 Reset).

As you can see, it is very simple, everyone can make something like this, if you have time and idea, you can make simple games like SUD Games (simple text games with choices), maybe games like BlackJack.
Next thing is, you can`t brick device with that, because you don`t modify firmware :D

Kopia macrodroid przyklad.mdr downloadable preview

Attachments

Last edited:

CEZARXV

Contributor
Thread sticked :).

Really good work :D !
Thanks!

As you can see, some things, especially screenshoots are untranslated, i don`t know why, i have set language to ENG.
But the main point is preserved, everyone can extend functionality of smartband without risk of damaging device, like modifying CFW.

MagicalUnicorn

Staff member
Developer
Thanks!

As you can see, some things, especially screenshoots are untranslated, i don`t know why, i have set language to ENG.
But the main point is preserved, everyone can extend functionality of smartband without risk of damaging device, like modifying CFW.
Yes I saw, but it's in most part translated so is understandable :p.

"extend functionality of smartband without risk of damaging device", a really good and important thing :D. Because it's so easy to brick the Mi band 3...

CEZARXV

Contributor
Yes I saw, but it's in most part translated so is understandable :p.

"extend functionality of smartband without risk of damaging device", a really good and important thing :D. Because it's so easy to brick the Mi band 3...
First you must have knowledge, which part of code you can modify, so newbies... it`s is not for them.
Flashing CFW may explode beyond their abilities.
Example?
Someone on the internet tried to flash ZIP on Mi Band...
A said, unpack it, then flash fw and res.

This toy (Macrodroid) is safer for them :)

You have that option in notify&fitness,
to have navigation on band,
and to change actions for dnd and find phone

CEZARXV

Contributor
You have that option in notify&fitness,
to have navigation on band,
and to change actions for dnd and find phone
Macrodroid is better.
You can set button action depending on which variable and which notification you have on input.

Notify&Fitness can set one action to button, you can't make "menu".

SARRAF

According to your explanation, this method should work with mi band 4,5 and even other fitness trackers too! (Which is really freakin' cool)

CEZARXV

Contributor
So that`s why you don`t need to modify firmware, what is risky and hard.

aplomb

I am new here and stumbled on this forum searching for few actions I can perform with my Mi Band 3. This thread is really great and wanted to appreciate your efforts to put it all down.

I also want to ask if you can help me create a macro with macrodroid as I am unable to find to work. So what I need is, repeat vibration at particular intervals for example: lets say I want the band to vibrate each hour, daily, from 9am to 11pm. Would really appreciate if you could help. Thanks.

CEZARXV

Contributor
I am new here and stumbled on this forum searching for few actions I can perform with my Mi Band 3. This thread is really great and wanted to appreciate your efforts to put it all down.

I also want to ask if you can help me create a macro with macrodroid as I am unable to find to work. So what I need is, repeat vibration at particular intervals for example: lets say I want the band to vibrate each hour, daily, from 9am to 11pm. Would really appreciate if you could help. Thanks.
Make macro, which send a notification
Trigger is time (you can set constant interval at section time in triggers)
Action is send notification, as i made it in my own macros.

Trusted Store

Members online

Our Telegram Channel

Which color of official strap would you like to buy for your Mi Band 3?

• Black

Votes: 2,154 52.8%
  • Deep Blue

Votes: 1,197 29.4%
  • Redish Orange

Votes: 726 17.8%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pipipupu