Review Xiaomi Mijia Smart Bluetooth Hydrometer Thermometer Clock Review

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
This review covers the main features of the Mijia Smart Bluetooth Hydrometer Thermometer Clock (or as I like to call it; Smart Clock). The device is used to measure the present home environment by monitoring the temperature and humidity, all displayed on the clear display on device and collected in the Xiaomi Home app for full analysis.

Design:

The smart clock has a compact design, slightly smaller than a typical digital clock. It looks good in any position in the house, fitting in nicely with the majority of household scenarios on shelves, desks or even being mounted on fridges or walls. It fits even better when accompanied by other Mijia products.

Screen:

The screen is incredibly clear and can be easily read in most lighting and due to the e-ink display it is even fully visible in direct sunlight. Despite the small size, the display is visible from across the room and the time is easily seen along with the current temperature and humidity. Without a back-light it is not possible to see the display in the dark but the data can be seen on the app by smartphone so this is not a huge drawback. The screen will even invert its colours to prevent screen-burn-in. Overall the clock fits naturally into a room without being a distraction while still having a visual appeal.

Sensors:

The sensors are extremely accurate. The temperature displayed is updated regularly and is shown to the first decimal place so you get a more specific reading. The humidity displays as a percentage which is a great indication of the humidity in the room. The measurements changed when opening nearby windows to show that the humidity and temperature had gone down, and after the shower was run it was clear to see that the humidity percentage had risen so the sensors are definitely picking up the minor fluctuations in the environment.

Functionality:

In the box there are three options for mounting the clock. There is a stand, a sticker, and magnet. I ended up going for the stand as it was most versatile for my needs, but the magnet would be great to mount the clock on the fridge as it has a slim design and the sticker would allow you to mount the clock on a wall or other surface to get a better measurement of the room.

The clock is a really great value considering the design and features it presents so it would be good to have one in each room to get the maximum data for the home. This is a reason that the multiple mounting types are an advantage as not every room has a convenient place to place the clock on a mount. So this was a nice addition by Xiaomi.

App Usage:

The app pairing was extremely quick and easy. The graphs in the app display all the collected information from the clock and shows the fluctuations each hour for the temperature and humidity. This collects for up to 6 months so you can view seasonal changes in your home. Each time you connect the app to the clock it stores all the newly collected information and updates the graphs. It looks good and is displayed neatly so there is no confusion.

Conclusion:

I can thoroughly recommend this smart device for anyone looking for a way to measure their home environment accurately at a low cost. The value for money is really great and the smart clock would be a great addition for any tech enthusiast looking to expand their smart home capabilities.

Pros:

- Elegant design for any room

- Accurate sensors

- Great visibility during the day

- Easy pairing with app

Cons:

- No back-light for night (but the app displays live info too)

- No date displayed on screen

Video:

GeekDoing Mall Link:
Original Xiaomi Mijia BT4.0 Wireless Smart Electric Digital clock Indoor Hygrometer Thermometer E-ink Temperature Measuring Tool

Last edited by a moderator:

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
did you compare the temp. shown on the display to a trust worthy thermometer ?
No. I don't have another device that is accurate. I have another old clock that was waaaay off and doesn't detect fluctuations or anything else.

However, the Mijia smart clock is definitely picking up the small changes in temperature. So at the very least it is tracking the fluctuations which is the main aim.
I would also add that it has been placed next to an open window for the last couple of days and the temperatures are extremely close to the local live weather shown online, give or take a little due to the microclimate created by the room (sheltered).

So I would conclude that at its value level it is accurate enough for home usage.
If you need professional readings you could consult another device, but for its intended use the readings are accurate in my eyes :)

tomerr

the reason i'm asking is that i have the smaller e-ink version without the clock or bt connectivity, and i've compared its reading to two different Sensibo devices (IoT devices used to control AC) which also suppose to show accurate temp & humidity readings, but there's at least half a Celsius degree difference between the Xiaomi device and them. I'm still not too sure which one has the wrong reading

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
the reason i'm asking is that i have the smaller e-ink version without the clock or bt connectivity, and i've compared its reading to two different Sensibo devices (IoT devices used to control AC) which also suppose to show accurate temp & humidity readings, but there's at least half a Celsius degree difference between the Xiaomi device and them. I'm still not too sure which one has the wrong reading
It's difficult to say then. This one is able to work with the Mi home app to automate other xiaomi devices like the aircon so I would say it is probably designed with more care. They have to be accurate or the aircon etc will turn off and on at the wrong time.

I would trust the IoT based devices. So this would be included in that category along with your Sensibo ones

The sensors in this smart clock are advertised as being Swiss design which is held highly

tomerr

that's the thing, at the moment i tend to believe the Xiaomi one is more accurate and calibrated my IoT device 0.5 degree below its reading - after placing both of them near each other.
anyway, considering getting the "smarter" version as well after reading your review. thanks:)
also, noticed that in the Mi Home app (connected to the Chinese server), i could only find the round version of the thermometer - not this one. is this normal?

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
that's the thing, at the moment i tend to believe the Xiaomi one is more accurate and calibrated my IoT device 0.5 degree below its reading - after placing both of them near each other.
anyway, considering getting the "smarter" version as well after reading your review. thanks:)
also, noticed that in the Mi Home app (connected to the Chinese server), i could only find the round version of the thermometer - not this one. is this normal?
My app is set to the Chinese server for my Mijia camera and the smart clock showed up under nearby devices and showed up in the list of devices. So no issues there you will be able to add it.

If you're into this type of device then I'd go for it :)

tomerr

btw Mi Home & servers..if you're thinking about buying Roborock vaccum cleaner (which is amazing, I have the new S6 version), you won't be able to find it in the app using the Chinese server - only on one of the international servers..! this is quite annoying. I also have Defang camera and have to switch between servers all over to view it or control the robot vaccum

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
btw Mi Home & servers..if you're thinking about buying Roborock vaccum cleaner (which is amazing, I have the new S6 version), you won't be able to find it in the app using the Chinese server - only on one of the international servers..! this is quite annoying. I also have Defang camera and have to switch between servers all over to view it or control the robot vaccum
I probably will get one of the robrocks next time I move.

My xiaofang has been Mac blacklisted from the Chinese server lmao. Waiting for the after sales team to unblock me. Fair enough I broke their terms but still eh. After an update.

I'll probably just setup dual apps and a second account for international usage. The value makes it worth it. Would end up with another app for another brand anyway.

tomerr

that's what i did with Parallel Space app, works but kinda slow. the S6 is totally worth it, its navigation skills are superb (it cleans and talks to you too..)
what did you do to get blacklisted:) ?

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
that's what i did with Parallel Space app, works but kinda slow. the S6 is totally worth it, its navigation skills are superb (it cleans and talks to you too..)
what did you do to get blacklisted:) ?
Island is a better method as it creates a work profile and doesn't emulate a partition for the apps. Its native :)

Basically the device is China only so use from outside China is restricted. When you update I'm assuming they check the IP address requesting the firmware and after the latest one I was blocked. There is a form to request access to be reinstated if you can prove ownership and purchase. Failing that I'll hack the camera with Diaofang hacks.

I was stupid to update since it is a know issue and keeping the original firmware prevents you being blocked. Hopefully they will just unblock it in this case

Dobsgw

Official Forum Reviewer
I Can't see my device at Bluetooth. Could you help me?
Give Mijia app location permission and turn on location and Bluetooth.

Reason is android requires location permission to give access to search for devices.
Drives me nuts. Silly Google

tomerr

so..which one is more accurate :) to be honest, the new one (the clock / temp) has dropped during the time i uploaded the pic to 25.7c / 61% . which is pretty close

Last edited:

anshubam

hi there

Actually i am unable to connect it with my bluetooth on phone it is not searching it i dont know why..can you plz help me that??

Trusted Store

Members online

No members online now.

Our Telegram Channel

Which color of official strap would you like to buy for your Mi Band 3?

• Black

Votes: 2,154 52.8%
  • Deep Blue

Votes: 1,197 29.4%
  • Redish Orange

Votes: 726 17.8%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
careylui